Hochschule Ravensburg-Weingarten | Zurück zur Startseite

Advanced »

International Office
Akademisches Auslandsamt

Registration as a foreigner

Within seven days after arrival, nationals from non-EU countries have to additionally register at the Foreigners' Registration Office (Ausländeramt).

The Foreigners' Registration Office of Weingarten is located in the same building as the Einwohnermeldeamt, in room 9. Depending on the first letter of your last name, differnet personsn will be in charge:

A-G: Frau Mare, phone: 0751 405-169, m.mare@weingarten-online.de
H-P: Frau Stöhr, phone: 0751 405-164, l.stoehr@weingarten-online.de
Q-Z: Frau Bahr, phone 0751 405-261, k.bahr@weingarten-online.de

Opening hours:
Monday, Tuesday 08:30-12:00
Wednesday 08:00-12:00
Thursday 08:30-12:00, 13:45-17:30

The Foreigners' Registration Office of Ravensburg is located in Seestraße 9, phone 0751 82-190. Depending on the first letter of your last name, different persons will be in charge.

Opening hours:
Monday – Thursday 09:00 -12:00, 14:00 -16:00
Friday                     09:00 - 12:00

Students from non-EU countries must apply for a residence permit if they intend to stay longer than 3 months. The application has to be submitted before the visa expires, i.e. at least 4 weeks earlier. Better is to do it as soon as you have the following documents ready:

  • the fully filled application form that you had collected at the Foreigners' Registration Office before
  • a valid entry visa
  • a valid national passport
  • a biometric passport photograph
  • your student card or a proof of registration as a student of the university
  • proof of sufficient health insurance cover
  • proof of sufficient financial resources to finance your stay
  • a long-term tenancy agreement on your name
The Foreigners‘ Registration Office in charge will tell you which documents are required for verification.

You need to have financial resources of € 720 per month (€ 8.640 per year). Usually the residence permit is granted for one year and will expire at the end of the next-but-one semester. After that, you will be required to extend the validity of your residence permit every year. This means that each year you must provide evidence of sufficient financial resources to cover your living expenses (minimum € 8.640 a year). Please make sure that this amount is effectively available to you. If you entered Germany with a blocked account, the required amount has to be blocked on your account again in order to be able to get an extension of your residence permit.

The residence permit is issued in the form of a credit card-sized chip card (electronic residence permit – eAT), in addition to your passport. Biometric features (photograph and two fingerprints taken upon application for the permit), additional requirements as well as your personal data are saved on the chip. As a consequence, the processing of the extension of validity of your permit will take approx. four weeks and will cost € 100 the first time and € 96 for each extension up to 3 months and € 93 for more than 3 months. In case you were granted a scholarship out of public funds (for example ERASMUS, Baden-Württemberg Scholarship), the electronic residence permit is free of charge for you.

Attention: For excursions to Switzerland, you must have a residence permit for Germany or a D-Visa with multiple entrances.

Important note: Your residence permit is confined to your studies in Germany and to the study program at HRW for which you obtained the visa. You will lose your residence permit if you terminate your studies, e.g. due to several failed exams, and you will have to leave Germany. Even when you already have the admission for another study program you still have to leave Germany and apply for a new visa in your home country.

If you have not lost your examination entitlement, you can switch your study program within the same university or change university without any restrictions within the first 18 months of your studies (semester 1-3). However, you have to report to the Foreigners’ Registration Office in due time. From your forth semester onwards, changing your study program is only possible with the consent of the Foreigners’ Registration Office in charge within the context of an individual discretionary decision.