Hochschule Ravensburg-Weingarten | Zurück zur Startseite

Advanced »

International Office
Akademisches Auslandsamt

Steps before departure

Before leaving you must cancel all registrations made at the beginning of your stay. Please bear in mind that it will cause a lot of trouble, not only to the institutions involved but also to the International Office, if you do not follow the steps as mentioned below. So, please read this information carefully and make sure everything is done in due time.

Moving out of the students' dormitory

Get in touch with the person in charge of your residence in good time before your departure and set a date for the final room check:

  • Seezeit dormitories Lazarettstraße, Tettnangerstraße, Weingartshof and Seestraße: Herr Bernd Jocham, caretaker (hm-uebersee@seezeit.com, phone 0162 2939584)
  • Eugen Bolz dormitory: Hausverwaltung Reiner: Herr Jürgen Dechant (jdechant@hausverwaltung-reiner.de, phone 0160 3650787)
  • Weiße Rose dormitories: Herr Philipp Stäbler (philipp.staebler@studentenwerk-ev.de, phone: 0751 56083813)
Please note that you can move out only Monday – Friday from 8:00 – 18:00.

De-registration as a student (Exmatrikulation)

Do not forget to de-register as a student of HRW (exmatrikulieren). To de-register, pick up the application form at the International Office (room P 001) or the Student Administration Office (room H 022) and collect all signatures as required. When complete, return the form to the Student Administration Office. Please take into consideration that it might take some days to get all the required signatures! You will then get a certificate of de-registration (Exmatrikulationsbescheinigung) which you need in order to end your contract with the health insurance (TK).

De-registration can be done at any time between sitting the last examination and the end of the semester. Please note, however:

  • If you take up a regular employment after graduating from the university, which means that you change the purpose of your stay in Germany, prior de-registration will be necessary.
  • If you leave Germany after graduating from the university, prior de-registration will be necessary as well.
  • For students from countries other than EU countries leaving Germany, the date of your de-registration as a student may not be before the departure date as your stay would no longer be legal.
Master students: Once you have completed your Master’s program, presented your thesis and received the final certificate please make sure you de-register as a student.

Exchange students: Before leaving Germany, you have to de-register, too. Please note, however, that after de-registration you cannot see your grades in LSF anymore.

De-registration as a resident of Weingarten (Abmeldung)

Before leaving Germany, i.e. Weingarten or Ravensburg, you must go to the Residents’ Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt) and the Foreigners’ Registration Office (Ausländeramt) again and inform them of the date you will definitely be leaving the Germany. You can do this immediately or some time before your departure – but you must do it. You have to show a confirmation of your move-out (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung). If necessary, the Foreigners’ Registration Office will issue forms for the crossing of the border (Grenzübertrittsbescheinigung).

Should you stay in Germany but move to another city or community, do not forget to register again with the local Residents' Registration Office within two weeks. De-registration from your former residence will be done automatically. Non-EU citizens, however, need to apply for a valid residence permit at their former previous place of residence.

De-registration from health insurance

Graduates working in Germany

If you take up employment in Germany, you should inform your health insurance company as soon as you know where and when you are going to work. In case you start working before the end of your final semester (February 28 or August 31), have de-registered from the university and possess the required work permit, if applicable, your insurance cover will be transformed. However, if you take up employment only after the end of your final semester, then your insurance contract as a student will remain valid until the end of one month after the end of the semester. Should there be a gap between the expiration of your status as a student and the beginning of your employment, you need to take out a voluntary health insurance. Please inform yourself with your health insurance company in time.

Graduates leaving Germany

Before you leave, you must terminate your health insurance contract. To ensure that you have health insurance coverage during your entire stay in Germany, health insurance companies will accept a termination of your contract only after submission of the certificate of de-registration from the university (Exmatrikulationsbescheinigung). As to the ending date of the health insurance contract, at TK it is identical with the de-registration date; other health insurance companies might have different regulations.

The university will submit the names of the students to TK who will be de-registered at the end of the semester. Your health insurance contract will thus automatically end on February 28 or August 31 respectively. If you wish to terminate your health insurance contract to an earlier date, you have to submit your certificate of de-registration from the university, which specifies this earlier date, to TK till at the latest February 1 or July 1 respectively. In this case, you will have to schedule your departure in January or June already and start your de-registration procedure already very early.
But no matter to which date you will terminate your health insurance contract, you have to submit your certificate of de-registration from the university to TK even if the university has already informed TK.

Since you will close your German bank account before you leave and as the monthly insurance premium is usually debited on the 15th of the following month only, the premium for February will be debited together with the one for January on February 15 and the premium for August together with the one for July on August 15 respectively. If you wish to leave in the end of July already and have informed TK in time, the premium for June, July and August will be debited on July 15. Either way, you have to make sure that you have enough money on your account on the due day.

Closing the bank account

Finally, you have to close your bank account. Please inform your bank if you expect money to be paid into or from your account after you have left Weingarten.

Graduates remaining in Germany: Please note that account keeping will no longer be free of charge as you no longer possess student status. Your bank will inform you by mail in good time and it will be up to you to decide which bank and which account will suit you best.